There are currently eight active sirens that make up the storm siren notification system
. The current storm siren map is currently updated to show the location of all storm sirens. The storm sirens are located in the following general areas;
1. Sioux Street and 18th Street
2. Highway 88 and Ridge Avenue (by the water tower)
3. 104 S. Muskogee at City Hall
4. Frederick Road and Highway 66
5. Highway 20 and Westside School
6. Golf Course Club House (this is an older mechanical siren not on the map)
7. Heritage Drive and Blue Starr (installed February 2012 and not on the map)
8. 901 S. Faith Lane (installed February 2012 and not on the map).
If the siren near your home is not at one of these locations, it may be a part of the old, inactive system.
Claremore’s storm sirens will only be sounded during tornado warnings when indicated by the National Weather Service or for tornados reported from other credible sources, other than for scheduled testing and maintenance.
Storm sirens are intended for outdoor notification only.
At noon on the first Wednesday of each month, the storm siren notification system will be fully activated to test the system. During the monthly test activation, the storm siren notification system is activated two times to test operation of the system from the two separate control points; the Claremore Fire Station 1 and the Claremore Police Dispatch Center. The storm sirens will not be tested in overcast conditions. If it is overcast on the test date, the sirens will be tested at Noon on the next day that is not overcast.
For the other weeks, where the storm siren notification system is not fully activated, a complete system test is conducted, short of sounding the storm sirens. During these test, residents might notice rotation of a storm siren and a short ‘growl’.
An outside company conducts semi-annual maintenance of all sirens.